Football must do more to tackle racism, says Downing Street

By | December 25, 2019

Downing Street has said the football authorities got to do more to tackle racism within the game after involves a government inquiry and more comprehensive sanctions in response to alleged racist incidents during a match between Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea on Sunday.

Boris Johnson’s spokesman said the govt was monitoring the authorities’ response and was able to take further steps “if required”.

“Racism of any kind has no place in football or anywhere else and that we must confront this vile behaviour,” he said. “Clearly there remains more work to be done by the football authorities in tackling this issue and that we are committed to working with them on this to stamp it out.

The spokesman added: “The FA, Premier League and English league have significantly stepped up their efforts, but we expect them to still prioritise this issue and to consult both players and supporter groups, and that we are going to be monitoring how the football authorities implement their plans through the season.”

No 10’s comments were echoed by Priti Patel, the house secretary, who said: “Those found guilty of a racially aggravated offence under the general public Order Act can face a sentence of both six months in prison and a 10-year ban from attending all football matches.

“We fully expect the whole football community to figure with the authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice so we will stamp this evil out of our national game.”

Earlier, the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) said: “Once again, a Premier League fixture has been tainted by abuse from the stands towards players. We believe that the time has come for all governing bodies to unite collectively to finish this abuse. https://www.agensbobet888.online/ agen sbobet 888 online

“The PFA involves a government inquiry into racism and therefore the rise in hate crime within football, and immediate and urgent action from an all-party group at the Department of Culture, Media and Sport to deal with this urgent issue.”

It was reported that the sports minister, Nigel Adams, would speak to Tottenham Hotspur about the abuse on Monday.

The game on Sunday was paused after the Chelsea defender Antonio Rüdiger was allegedly targeted with racist abuse by a neighborhood of the gang.

The referee Anthony Taylor stopped the sport during the last half when an object was thrown at Chelsea’s goalkeeper, Kepa Arrizabalaga, and Rüdiger indicated that a supporter had shouted a monkey chant at him.

César Azipilicueta, the Chelsea captain, brought the incident to the referee’s attention, who asked for an announcement to be broadcast to the gang. The announcement over the public address system at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium told the gang that “racist behaviour is interfering with the game”. it had been repeated twice, though it’s understood that just one allegation of racism was made.

On Monday, it emerged that a Chelsea supporter was arrested for racially abusing Tottenham Hotspur’s Son Heung-min during an equivalent Premier League match.

It came as Spurs earlier vowed to require the “strongest possible action” against anyone found guilty of abusing Rüdiger, who is known to possess been left angry following the newest example of the racism blighting the sport.